NameSilo vs Namecheap – both are industry leading domain name registrars, and they have a dedicated user base. Both these are considered to be good domain name registrars that ensure affordability along with excellent features, a great pricing structure and incredible customer support.
However, if you are finding it overwhelming to choose between namecheap vs namesilo, this comparative review will help you make a wise choice. Let’s get started.
- 1) NameSilo vs Namecheap: A Brief Overview
- 2) Domain Extension TLDs Available
- 3) Features: NameSilo vs Namecheap
- 4) Pricing Comparison
- 5) Dashboard User Panel
- 6) Technical Support
- 7) NameSilo vs Namecheap: A Comparative Study
- 8) The Final Verdict
NameSilo vs Namecheap: A Brief Overview
Launched in 2010, NameSilo is an ICANN-accredited domain registrar that has been efficiently managing more than 1 million domain names under their portfolio. They primarily focus on domain name registration, and no other ancillary services, thus they provide the “lowest domain prices on the Internet.”
They also offer a fast, simple, and clean domain registration, renewal, and management process with multiple levels of security that helps keep the domain assets safe from cyber attacks. NameSilo is acclaimed for its cheaper pricing and improved quality of services – two primary features that are second to none in the domain registration industry today.
Namecheap, on the other hand, started its journey in 2000 and offers high-quality domain registration services. Today, they have expanded their services to offer SSL certificates and web hosting as well. Being in the market for a longer time span, Namecheap has more than 5 million domain names registered under its portfolio.
They use an advanced domain name generator that allows you to register a domain name that is unique and innovative. If you already have a domain registered somewhere, you can easily transfer it to Namecheap for free.
Domain Extension TLDs Available
When it comes to domain extension TLDs, NameSilo offers twice as more Top Level Domains compared to Namecheap. However, the latter provides specific domain TLDs that NameSilo does not offer.
Similarly, there are more TLD extensions available with NameSilo, but Namecheap has more variety and uniqueness that give it a competitive edge.
Domain extensions available with NameSilo:
Domain TLDs available with Namecheap include:
.com, .ninja, .productions, .email, .info, .rentals, .farm, .watch, .vote, .holiday, .gift, .net, .repair, .app, .dev, .institute, .name, .support, .org, .sa.com, .webcam, .biz, .clothing, .enterprises, .domains and many more.
Features: NameSilo vs Namecheap
- Simple integrations and friendly control panel: NameSilo is among a few domain name registration companies that offer super-simplistic integrations. They have an interactive control panel that provides instant access to all required features and tabs. It is simple to use even for a beginner, with no fuss or hassle.
- Bulk edits: This is a nice feature of NameSilo – the ability to edit domains in bulk. This is particularly favored by users who have numerous domains with NameSilo. The feature allows you to easily and quickly change the domain forwarding or nameservers settings in bulk, helping you to save a significant amount of time and effort in repeating the same actions for each of your domains.
- Free WHOIS privacy protection: This is another key feature that distinguishes NameSilo from Namecheap. When registering a domain, ICANN makes it mandatory to provide accurate contact information and identification. WHOIS is a query and response protocol that provides information on IP addresses, domain names, and other personal data.
NameSilo offers a free domain privacy protection add-on for WHOIS that allows you to safeguard your personal data and keep it secure from cyber threats. The best thing is that this feature is 100% free and you will not be charged a penny for the add-on.
- Fully functional domain manager: Another unique feature of NameSilo is their fully functional and user-friendly domain manager. It allows you to easily search and organize your domains based on numerous criteria. Most interestingly, you can perform all these functions on a single domain or in bulk. With NameSilo domain manager, you can easily control domains from 1 to 1,000,000. This makes it easier to manage all your domains.
- Two-factor authentication: For improved security against cybercrime, NameSilo provides two-factor authentication for anyone trying to access your domain/website.
- Free email forwarding: NameSilo uses the SRS (Sender Rewriting Scheme) system and supports a catch-all feature that allows you to send emails to 100 addresses at once.
- Free subdomains: With Namecheap, you can set up to 198 subdomains for free. Additionally, you will have a wildcard subdomain catch that allows you to manage your subdomains yourself.
- Free DNS for outside domains: For domains that are registered with third-party registrars, Namecheap offers both free and premium DNS hosting service as an additional perk.
- “Not-so-free” WHOIS privacy protection: Namecheap does provide WHOIS domain privacy protection for free, but the feature will be active only for one year. After that, you will be charged a fee for domain privacy protection.
- Free email and URL forwarding: Similar to NameSilo, Namecheap also lets you set up to 100 email addresses per domain. You can also catch all forwarding and undefined addresses using this feature.
- Reliable DNS: Namecheap stands out with its highly trusted DNS server, located in the U.S. and Europe. It allows unlimited modifications in real-time, featuring URL, email forwarding, and dedicated services. The robust DNS server ensures zero downtime by allowing you to change the IP addresses.
- Two-factor authentication: Namecheap also provides two-factor authentication to ensure high-end security of your domain and all personal data.
In terms of features offered, both domain name registrars are clear winners!
On the pricing front, both Namecheap vs NameSilo are the cheapest domain name registrars in the market today. However, there are some differences in their pricing packages, which we will review here.
For more popular domain names like .org, .net, .com, etc., NameSilo might be a cheaper option. However, if you are looking for other types of domain names such as the new gTLDs, then Namecheap is a better option as it also features a lot of promos and discounts.
However, the best thing about NameSilo is that you can get the lowest price for your domain registration and with no additional/hidden charges.
On the flip side, Namecheap has a slightly confusing pricing system. For instance, registering a .me domain will cost only $3 in the first year and a .com domain will cost $8.88 per year but when you continue using it consecutively for 2 years, the price increases.
The same applies to Namecheap “FREE” WHOIS privacy protection add-on. They market the service as “free,” but it is only applicable for the first year of activation. After one year, you need to pay an additional fee for the service. This can be quite misleading, especially for beginners.
|.org Domain Name Registration/Renewal Price||$12.48/year||$9.89/year|
|.com Domain Name Registration/Renewal Price||$10.69/year||$8.99/year|
|.net Domain Name Registration/Renewal Price||$12.88/year||$9.99/year|
|WHOIS Privacy||$2.88/year after 1st year of FREE service||FREE|
|Claim Discount||Claim Discount|
We can conclude that NameSilo is comparatively cheaper than Namecheap.
Dashboard User Panel
All domain name registrars must have a quick and simple domain search tool that allows you to find your preferred domain name in no time. Therefore, you should look for a simple-to-use and interactive dashboard that is the most integral aspect of any domain registrar.
In this case, Namecheap certainly wins the game with a fully functional domain manager and a great UX that delivers a smooth customer experience. The dashboard interface will instantly offer a great feel and you will experience almost no glitches or bugs.
On the other hand, NameSilo does claim to offer a superior domain manager, but the UX appears to be outdated.
Namecheap provides excellent customer support. However, they do not provide technical support over the phone but are available via online live chat 24/7. You will get the best customer support with Namecheap as they are always ready to guide you with the right solutions. You can expect a quick response through the live chat or ticket desk.
NameSilo is also known for its technical support for domains. And therefore, you can expect great only-domain-related technical support. They do provide 24/7 support via phone for specific business hours and they have round clock chat support. NameSilo also has a ticketing system to address your technical issues in a fast and reliable manner.
NameSilo vs Namecheap: A Comparative Study
The Final Verdict
From an overall comparison, we can conclude that NameSilo is the best option all the way. It may not offer a fantastic user interface but wins the game with high-end security, competitive pricing, and free lifetime WHOIS domain privacy protection. So if you are only looking at registering a domain name, NameSilo is preferable.
We welcome your comments or questions regarding this article.