Cyber security threats have become the greatest struggle for businesses today. According to Accenture, 68% of businesses accept that their cyber security risks are increasing, with information theft being the fastest rising and costliest effect of cybercrime. Another alarming report by Cyber Security Ventures reveals that cybercrime would cost the world approximately $10.5 trillion annually by 2025.
Of all types of cyber attacks known worldwide, malware attack is considered the most terrifying and devastating. Loss due to malware attacks is set to rise by up to $20 billion dollars by the end of 2021. It is used to disable, damage or hack web applications:
- Collecting confidential data
- Deleting or altering website files
- Causing temporary website suspensions
- Affecting website loading time
- Damaging search engine rankings…and much more
The impact of malware attacks or other forms of cyber security threats on your site or e-commerce store can be dreadful. Therefore, it is important to have strict security standards in practice.
- 1) What Is iPage SiteLock?
- 2) Advantages Of iPage SiteLock
- 3) Other iPage SiteLock Features
- 4) iPage SiteLock Pricing
- 5) Is there A Free Version Of SiteLock with iPage?
- 6) Is SiteLock iPage Worth it?
What Is iPage SiteLock?
Do you know that a typical website may face thousands of vulnerabilities from potential malware attacks? When search engines like Google identify malware on a site, it can get blacklisted – this can have an adverse effect on the search engine ranking and brand reputation, and subsequently a significant revenue loss.
One effective tool to increase your website security and build a strong web presence is iPage SiteLock. iPage is a US-based web hosting provider that has partnered with SiteLock, an automated cyber security software solution for businesses of all sizes. iPage SiteLock scans a website to detect potential malware, viruses, and other vulnerabilities – ensuring it is protected from fast-growing cyber threats.
A website that is protected by iPage SiteLock displays the SiteLock Trust Seal that looks like this:
It helps build trust and credibility among website visitors, ensuring it is secure. This also helps prevent the website from getting blacklisted by search engines.
One can sign up for a SiteLock account to acquire the malware-protection services and improved website security. Their packages start from $149.99 per website/year, this is quite expensive, particularly for small and medium-sized websites. However, one can enjoy the same SiteLock security features as an add-on with iPage web hosting packages, and that too at a formal price starting from $3.99/month.
SiteLock is already included in your iPage website hosting package, providing you a host of features and added security. But is it right to go for iPage SiteLock or should you consider a free WordPress security plugin? In this guide, we will discuss whether iPage SiteLock is a good choice for you.
Advantages Of iPage SiteLock
Let’s have a look at the key benefits of iPage SiteLock:
1. Daily Malware Scans
Sitelock Security will automatically scan your website daily, detecting the presence of malicious components, such as harmful code, viruses, malware, or other vulnerabilities. On identifying any malware, it will instantly send alert notifications through the control panel or email. Daily automated scanning simplifies the process of protecting your website.
2. Automatic Malware Removal
One of the primary advantages of iPage SiteLock is that it detects and removes malware and viruses automatically. So, you can have complete peace of mind knowing that your website is protected round-the-clock against malicious attacks.
3. Google Blacklisting Monitoring
A website may get blacklisted when search engines like Google detect the presence of malware that has breached its security. As a result, the site may not appear on search engine result pages because it potentially threatens the security of website visitors and indicates poor security levels. This can significantly affect a website’s search ranking and reputation.
To prevent this, iPage SiteLock will constantly monitor your site for malware detection and automatic removals. This will help protect the site from blacklisting.
4. Site Security Certification
A website that is powered by iPage SiteLock will display the SiteLock Security Seal. It certifies that the site is fully secure, and all financial transactions or private information is safe. This helps to instill a sense of confidence and trust among website visitors.
5. Vulnerability Patching
iPage SiteLock automatically identifies and patches the potential security vulnerabilities in eCommerce solutions, CMS platforms, and plugins. This ensures that the website is secure, irrespective of the version it is operating in.
6. PCI Compliance Scanning
Do you know that inability to protect your consumers’ credit card information on your website can cost you heavy penalties under PCI compliance regulations? iPage SiteLock offers a PCI compliance scanning service that enables websites to meet the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS) regulations.
It helps streamline the questionnaire process, i.e., you need to answer only 20% of the complex PCI compliance questionnaire. This will help you in saving more time while ensuring your customers’ data is safe and you stay compliant with ease.
7. DDoS Protection
The ‘Prevent’ and ‘Prevent Plus’ plans of iPage SiteLock include DDoS protection. This prevents your website from slowing down or getting crashed when malicious attempts are made to make it unavailable during times of peak traffic. Typically, a botnet will send colossal amounts of data requests to the website from hundreds of sources, and all at once. This may impact the website’s processing capabilities, causing it to slow down or crash.
SiteLock is powered by sophisticated DNS protection, infrastructure, and web application that play an integral role in effective DDoS attack protection.
Other iPage SiteLock Features
Here are some more important features of iPage SiteLock that you should consider for ensuring improved security of your website:
- Automated bot attack blocking – iPage Sitelock detects and blocks most types of bot attacks
- Database scanning – In-depth website database scanning is performed to identify potential threats and malware
- Advanced web application firewall – It ensures added firewall protection for improved website security
- Faster response time – Support response time is fastest only with Prevent Plus plan
- External scan and file-level scanning – In-depth scanning is performed for comprehensive security checks at all levels
- Threat blocking – It will identify threats for ecommerce applications and CMS, and block the threats automatically
- Complete account-level malware removal – Ensure complete removal of malware, viruses, and other vulnerabilities
- Daily/continuous scan frequency – Continuous scan frequency is available only with the Prevent Plus plan
- CMS support – Dedicated CMS support is available for WordPress, WooCommerce, Drupal, Joomla, Magento, and PrestaShop
iPage SiteLock Pricing
Wondering why you should opt for iPage web hosting services to get SiteLock security features when you can directly sign up for SiteLock with any preferred hosting. It is because of the price advantage offered by iPage SiteLock.
When you sign up for SiteLock directly, their website security plans start with $14.99 per website/month. Annually, it will add up to $149.99 per website/year for the basic SecureAlert plan.
On the other hand, in partnership with iPage web hosting, SiteLock pricing plans start from as low as $3.99/month or $47.88 for a 1-year subscription, and the features offered are enough to protect your website from malware attacks and potential threats or getting blacklisted.
However, a limitation here is that the basic “Essentials” plan is available for a minimum 12-month subscription. This means you’d need to sign up for their 1-year plan to get the security features at a discounted price of $47.88/year.
A comparison of iPage SiteLock pricing plans:
An insight on the pricing of iPage SiteLock indicates that it is affordable as compared to SiteLock alone or other paid security solutions available in the market today. So, you might consider opting for iPage Sitelock if you are ready to invest more money in your website’s security.
Is there A Free Version Of SiteLock with iPage?
Yes, SiteLock for iPage web hosting does offer a free version. However, capabilities are limited with the free version. For instance, it can scan only a limited number of web pages and identify which one contains malware. This free scan will help detect only known malware and functions as a basic alarm system that notifies you through email when a malicious attack is detected.
The free SiteLock version will not remove the malware automatically as available with paid plans. However, it sends notifications and gives you time to backup your data and clean the infected files to prevent the website from getting blacklisted by search engines.
SiteLock free scan with iPage is a simple HTTP code that scans the website pages for about 20 seconds. During this time frame, SiteLock usually scans up to 5 to 10 website pages and it starts scanning starting from the home page that the domain points to.
While you may be allured to sign up for the free scan, but it is important to understand that it does not come with premium features that are available with the SiteLock paid plans. The paid plans include:
- Site vulnerability scanning
- Automatic malware removal
- DDoS protection
- PCI compliance scanning
- SiteLock web application firewall WAF
- SiteLock Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- SiteLock reputation management
You might be wondering why you should get the SiteLock free scan. It is a good option for small websites that want to save money and cannot pay for the expensive SiteLock security plans. With the free scan, you can detect a malicious attack or malware before it can cause detrimental effects on your website’s security. At least, you can take necessary actions in time to protect the confidential data on your website.
You can consider resolving the threats yourself or can also sign up for iPage SiteLock to have the malware removed automatically. SiteLock runs the free scan once a day per domain; however, it should not be registered with a paid SiteLock plan.
If you want to use the premium features of SiteLock for free, you can sign up for iPage WordPress Hosting. This plan offers a deluxe SiteLock security bundle and includes a custom firewall as well.
Is SiteLock iPage Worth it?
If you are thinking about whether iPage SiteLock is worth trying, then I would say that it is NOT worth it. There are several reasons for this:
- iPage SiteLock is undoubtedly an effective website security solution, but the features do not come for free. The basic plan starts at $3.99/month. However, you need to sign up for their 12-month plan to get discounted pricing.
- They have an option for a free scan with limited capabilities and can run malware scans for only 5-10 website pages. Additionally, it will not detect the malware and alert you; no malware removal tool is available with the free version. So, you might need to sign up for their premium plans or another security solution for malware removal. As such, the benefits of the free version are not passed on to you in the true sense.
- There are several better alternatives to iPage SiteLock. Most importantly, these are free and offer full-fledged features. For instance, you can consider using a WordPress security plugin, named Wordfence. Unlike SiteLock, Wordfence scans the core files, plugins and themes not just to detect malware, but also backdoors, bad URLs, malicious redirects, SEO spam, and more. You can be assured of more comprehensive security support with this free WordPress plugin.
So, if you want to ensure improved security of your website, then there are good alternatives to SiteLock for iPage. After all, why would you pay for security support features that you would otherwise get for free with another security plugin!
Hope this comprehensive review of SiteLock for iPage will helps you to determine whether the security solution is right for you and what better options you have. If you have any suggestions or if you want to add to this guide with your experiences, you can add to the comments section below.