- 1 Website creation process: 5 steps
- 2 1. Choice and reservation of your domain name
- 3 2. Which web hosting to choose?
- 4 3. Choice of software for website creation
- 5 4. Improving the performance of your website
- 6 5. Publishing pages on your software
- 7 Conclusion
Website creation process: 5 steps
When creating a website, the first question to ask yourself is how to create a website. Indeed, the base used to create your website will dictate the flow and online growth of your project. Therefore, it is essential to put in place a solid plan but also to study all the options available.
This article will explain in 5 easy steps for beginners, the creation, and publication of the first article on your website.
The 5 steps for creating a website are as follows:
- Choose and reserve your domain name from over 350 extensions available from Namecheap or Porkbun.
- The choice of web hosting adapted to the needs of your site and the traffic you expect there.
- Choice of software for creating your site (WordPress, Prestashop, Joomla, Magento, and many others)
- Configuring your website and adding options to improve performance
- Publication of the pages on your software.
1. Choice and reservation of your domain name
A domain name is an address where Internet users can access your website. A domain name is used to search for and identify servers on the internet. The servers use IPs which are a series of numbers. However, it is often difficult to remember the series of numbers from an IP address. It is for this reason that domain names have been developed and used.
When booking your domain name, it is very important to choose the extension of the latter. Indeed, there is a multitude of extensions as follows:
- Generic: These are the most popular extensions such as .com, .org, .net.
- Local: Local extensions make it possible to target Internet users on a Geographical Zone (.fr for France, .be for Belgium or even .ch for Switzerland).
- Personalized: These extensions allow you to provide more information on your sector of activity (.blog or .shop for example).
You can check the availability of a domain name and reserve it online.
2. Which web hosting to choose?
The second step in creating your website is choosing web hosting. Although there are different types of web hosting, the one you need depends on the size of your online project. Each formula has different quotas. It will depend on the number of visitors expected by your site but also on the number of websites you want to deploy. Here is an overview of the different possible alternatives.
This type of hosting is ideal for small and medium-sized websites. Indeed, shared hosting is a server hosting several clients. All websites, therefore, share server resources. Although the limitations are more stringent, the price of these formulas is very affordable.
VPS hosting is a very good alternative to shared hosting. Indeed, this type of accommodation offers more control and more freedom. However, this requires more in-depth server management skills and a good knowledge of SSH. Overall, VPS hosting will give you greater autonomy, and the quotas will be less strict than conventional web hosting.
3. Choice of software for website creation
A CMS (Content Management System) allows the creation of a website thanks to an easy to use and very intuitive graphical interface. However, to choose your software well, it is necessary to know them and know the possibilities offered by each of them.
Create a website with WordPress
WordPress is currently the most popular and widely used CMS in the world. It allows these users to create any type of websites such as a blog or online store through a wide range of extensions available.
The advantages of using WordPress are:
- You don’t need a lot of coding knowledge.
- Very affordable prices: Indeed, WordPress has a multitude of free plugins and themes, which will allow you to create a website at a lower cost.
- A huge community: Having a huge community of passionate developers and bloggers, you will be able to find solutions and answers very quickly.
Create a website with Prestashop
Prestashop allows the creation of an online store only. With a wide range of themes and extensions, it allows you to create your first online store quickly and easily.
The advantages of using Prestashop are:
- More than 500 functions available on Prestashop such as product management, customer management and invoicing.
- Prestashop is translated into more than 25 languages. It is, therefore, possible to attract visitors from all over the world.
- Over 1000 extensions and themes currently available, allowing you to add the functionality you need.
Create a website with Joomla
Joomla is another well known CMS. He has long been a competitor to WordPress. As a Content Management System, Joomla allows you to:
- Build any type of website. With a wide range of modules, it allows you to create all types of websites, from a simple blogs to an online store.
- Find solutions to each problem. Just like WordPress, Joomla has a large community that will be able to answer your expectations and your questions.
- Addition of new functions without coding.
4. Improving the performance of your website
Having an SSL certificate is essential for your site. All of the web hosting providers offer SSL certificate. Some of them offer it for free and for some others you’ll have to pay for it annually.
HTTPS encryption has recently become a new standard on the Web. Also, this has many advantages such as:
- Improving your SEO ranking: Indeed, search engines such as Google favor SSL
- Strengthens the confidence of your visitors: Indeed, your visitors will know that their personal information is secure.
Harden the security on your website
These days, you can never be too confident. You can never be too safe, especially with the various threats that lie in wait for the web. Some of the most common things that can affect your website include:
- DDOS attack: Your site is flooded with several requests. Pages get slower and slower until you stop responding
- Spam: Internet users can abuse by sending a multitude of comments, just as robots can use your contact form for sending mass emails.
- Brute force attempt: This type of attack implies that a person submits a large number of different password combinations to gain access to the administration of your site.
To protect your website from these dangers, it is possible to define security measures such as:
- Use reCaptcha: It is a simple and very effective tool to fight against Spam.
- Limit connection attempts: Some plugins allow you to configure waiting times of 5 to 10 minutes between each incorrect password.
- Installation of security plugins: If you use WordPress, you can install a plugin such as Wordfence to add an additional layer of protection.
- Update your site regularly: Indeed, obsolete scripts often have security holes. It is important to update your CMS, your themes and plugins.
- Link your domain to Cloudflare: Cloudflare will protect your website from various attacks. Also, the caching available on it allows a faster display of your site.
5. Publishing pages on your software
The last point, determine which pages to include on your website. This is just as important as the other four. If your goal is to create an online store, it’s important to think about how to showcase your different products.
You are now able to know the main stages for creating a website, you are also able to protect yourself and improve the performance of the latter.
If you have tips and if you know tools to stand out, I invite you to communicate them to us in a comment 😉